Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (5.2/11.0)

I finished Chains over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I love historical fiction and this was certainly a good one. Set during the Revolutionary War, it is about a slave named Isabel. She and her sister are sold to a loyalist family that lives in Manhattan. At first Isabel is used as a spy for the revolutionary forces. She overhears a plot to kill George Washington and turns in a list of conspirators names, including the name of her owner. She thinks they will protect her, but they turn her back over to her owners wife, who beats her and has an "I" branded on her face. Through her we learn what life was like during the beginning stages of the war. If you like historical fiction I think you would love this book.

Currently reading: Forge, the sequel to Chains